Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hock Seng Rojak (Rojak King), Macallum Street, Penang

Last few weekends, I was hunting for this so-called Rojak King. I am very curious of this self-proclaimed Rojak King and I decided to drive all the way to GeorgeTown to hunt down the "king". But, to my disappointment, I went to the wrong side of the town. But, I got lucky last weekend because finally I managed to hunt down the so-called Rojak King. I will tell you how get there at the end of this post because it is kinda tricky. If you follow my post about GP Soon Rojak, you should have know what is rojak. If you have not, let me summarize it, rojak is some sort like fruit salad, just that the sauce is totally different. When it comes to food, most of the people like to self-claimed that they are the best, Number 1 or this, the King! How often do you really think this true? But this Rojak King, finally, you found one in a million, the real hidden "king" in the midst of self-proclaimed kings.

Rojak King
Rojak King
I don't know the reason they called themselves Rojak King but if you ask me, their rojak paste is really different from the one I had before in my life. Their rojak paste is so thick that it is hard to dip in the fruits. Besides that, normal rojak paste is just a paste but some people add in peanuts, chili power or chili paste and belacan powder to boost the taste. This Rojak King, they add in dried shrimp apart from the one aforementioned, directly making them the King of Rojak. Dried shrimp really really enhance or boost the taste to the max. When I put the paste in my car, the smell of the dried shrimp filled up my whole car in seconds. So, for those who allergic to shrimps or hate the smell of the dried shrimps, please be aware! But according to the owner, previously, this stall was operated by an old man but he has retired since he is old and weak now. I think the old man is her father.

Thicky rojak paste
Thicky rojak paste

Peanuts
Peanuts

Dried shrimp
Dried shrimp

Adding in the dried shrimp, fabulous!
Adding in the dried shrimp, fabulous!

Rojak paste
Rojak paste

Do I need to write more? I guess the pictures above are more than enough to make you drool now. For our Muslim friends, I am not sure if this is "halal" or not because I do not see any "Ditanggung Halal" sign as in GP Soon Rojak. If you ask me to compare which one is better, I would tell you, Rojak King and GP Soon Rojak have different type of rojak paste. Rojak King's paste is like tasting chocolate, seriously, my friends said it was like eating chocolate fondue. GP Soon's paste is like normal rojak paste but the taste is better than the normal one. "King" is always different, no? So, no one is better because both of them still serves the best rojak in Penang.

She is very friendly
She is very friendly

Left: Big Middle: Medium Right: Small
Left: Big
Middle: Medium
Right: Small

Small
Small

After I mixed the paste
After I mixed the paste

The current owner is very friendly. I managed to snap nice pictures are all because of her. Since they are quite famous, their rojak is a bit pricey. The price ranges from RM6 to RM12. The reason behind is because I think dried shrimp is not cheap and because of the fame. But, good food does not come cheap. The different between small, medium and big is shown in the picture above. But, for big one, they give 2 rojak pastes. The portion of the fruits and squid vary according to the size and price. For take-away, rojak paste is separated from the fruits and the paste is put in the small container. If you want to eat on the spot, you can request them to mix the paste and fruits together for you. I recommend not to mix together if you want to take away as the fruits will become watery and the whole rojak will be watery. Try it out and let me know how would you describe the rojak paste.

Price
Price

Venue
Hock Seng Rojak (Rojak King), Macallum Street, Penang
Phone Number: +6016-4030724, +6016-4772472

Location Details
The location is a bit difficult to find because to be exact, it is at Gat Lebuh Cecil 1 (don't why they put Macallum Street). It is located in front of Sin Hong Leong coffee shop and it is trishaw stall. If you go from the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway from Bayan Lepas, keep right at the highway and turn right at the first traffic light to Gat Lebuh Cecil 1. The stall is on your left after you turn in. Do not turn to Gat Lebuh Cecil on the left. It is not at the left side (Town Side) but it is at the right side (Sea Side). See the picture below.

"B" is the location of Rojak King
"B" is the location of Rojak King
Price
Small RM6.00 (include 1 rojak paste)
Medium RM8.00 (include 1 rojak paste)
Big RM12.00 (include 2 rojak pastes)
Rojak Paste RM7.00 (sold separately)

Business Hours
1:30PM - 5PM
Closed on Mondays


If you like my post and if you think it is interesting, please click the LIKE/SHARE button to share with your friends and family. After all, sharing is caring. Thanks :D
Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...